Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Ripple: Done

Yesterday I ran into some friends who mentioned that they were planning on making ripple blankets. This prompted me to report that I had finished mine and that Abi was happily using it on her bed. In fact, she's devised a plan where she doesn't need to make her bed in the morning because she lays on top of her duvet and covers herself with her blanket. Brilliant! She doesn't have to make her bed and, even better, I don't have to remind her to.
This was very much a stop and go project. I'd work on it in earnest for a week or so and then suddenly become enamored of a project that offered more immediate gratification. Also, as this was the first thing I've ever crocheted, it might have been a tad on the ambitious size for a beginner.
Despite all that it's a finished object now and true to form I want to make another one. And, as is my way, I've got to find a way to make the project my own. Abi's blanket includes a turquoise yarn that I dyed myself as an experiment to see how well my fabric dyes work on cotton yarn. I was pretty pleased with the results, so I've already ordered some undyed worsted weight cotton yarn from Dharma. I'd like to make my second ripple with hand dyed yarn. I haven't decide yet if it will be exclusively hand dyed stuff or I'll mix in some store bought, but I definitely want my own colors to play a bigger role.

5 comments:

Beth said...

It's just beautiful... It gives me hope that I will, some day, learn to crochet something wonderful too. I've been enjoying your recent posts so very much!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, Malka! The pictures are great too.

Kristin Shields said...

Congratulations! It's really gorgeous. I'm about 1/3 of the way done with mine, but like you, work on it for a bit and then other projects come to the fore front. I'm enjoying it though.

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Thanks so much everyone.

Courtney said...

Your ripple looks great. I'm making one using the same yarn (Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, right?) and I'm curious about what type of dye you used. I'd like to incorporate a few more colors in my blanket, so I might try the same thing.