Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Stitch

I couldn't help myself. I didn't go there planning to buy it, but it just happened.
I was in the bookstore the other day and browsing the magazines when I saw a copy of Quilting Arts Stitch. I already mentioned that I had a design in the premiere issue of this magazine and, in fact, I'd seen the magazine at Quilt Festival. I resisted buying a copy then because I knew that as a contributor I would get a few complimentary copies along with my quilt when it was returned. But something about it staring at me on the magazine rack got the better of me and before I knew it I was buying it.


I'm not going to lie to you, I think the magazine looks fabulous and not just because I happen to have a design included. I'm especially in love with the feature on modern skirts and am planning to make at least two of the designs. By the way, the magazine includes the patterns for the skirts so you don't have to purchase anything additional.


My quilt had a lovely spot on the contents page as well as being part of a feature on patchwork alongside several other terrific projects.
I had written some incredibly lengthy instructions which they managed to condense into something a lot more understandable and drawn up quite a few sets of templates. It's very complicated to explain to someone how to do something improvisationally in a way that allows them to repeat it.


The quilt that I sent to Stitch was a re-creation of a quilt I made a while back.

The original was smaller than this version and featured exclusively hand dyed fabrics. Also the green and black checkered sections were made with discharged cottons. In the remake I pieced the checkered sections so that the quilt could be made by others.
Both versions were inspired by a wonderful book that I've owned for many years called Traditional Indian Textiles . If you can flip through this book and not be amazed by the fiber goodness coming out of the Indian subcontinent then you're probably unconscious.


Here's a view of the traditional Indian chakla or quilt that inspired my chakla.
Oh, so beautiful!

13 comments:

Fabric Fanatic said...

Wow, your version inspired by the Indian one is amazing. So wonderful to see how one thing can morph into another, and how exciting it must be for you to see it in print and on the shelf. Good on!

jacquie said...

i couldn't have resisted either. congratulations!

susan said...

stitch....oh no... i am trying to buy less magazines but this might be another must have. darn! :-)

Anonymous said...

It's always so exciting to see your own work in print - I don't blame you for wanting to snap up a copy on sight!
I too have that book - I list it as one of my favourites on my blog. I love the way you have translated the original embroidered version into a contemporary patchwork. The appliqued one on page 69 is another I like, and the blockprinted ones, and the ikat etc, etc!

By the way I love your circles quilt - and king size - wow!

bettyninja said...

What a wonderful feature! Your quilt is amazing. I love how magazines have started to include these more fun, modern like quilts. I'll be buying this magazine! I hope they have it near me.

Emily said...

That is incredibly beautiful! I will be sure to look for that magazine this week!

Julie Alvarez said...

Con... cong... congr... Congratulations!!! I wish I could see this magazine.

PrairiePeasant said...

I just purchased this magazine today--I couldn't resist it on the shelf. It has so many projects to inspire, including your wonderful quilt!

Jill said...

I must get that magazine. Your work is so fantastic. I'm just glad there's some instructions.

I love textiles from around the world. They're always my favorite souvenir, especially handmade ones.

Sarah said...

Woo hoo you're in print! I'm going to a bookstore tonight and will look for this mag.

Faith said...

wow I love the colours and the inspiration where this comes from and its great to meet other designers like you.. well done I love the bright colours

Unknown said...

Found your blog through a mention at Pink Chalk Studio. Congratulations on being published--it's a fabulous, exuberant quilt. Makes me wish I were in my sewing room rather than at work, which is where I am. :-(

annette said...

Love your quilt. It must be quite an amazing feeling to see something that you've created in a magazine. Congratulations. I just saw mention of this new magazine just a couple of days ago and would LOVE to get my hands on a copy.