Tuesday, August 23, 2011

a stitch in color :: preview project #5 + baked goods

One of the great things about designing for Moda Fabrics is all the cute ways they package their fabrics. It's a smorgasbord of packaging possibilities: layer cakes, jelly rolls, fat quarter, fat eighth, and charm packs. I think packaging a collection in a variety of ways is more than just a marketing tool; it's a way to re-imagine a group of fabrics in a new and creative way.
The other day I had the opportunity to start re-imagining a project or two when I received yet another lovely box from Moda. 
This time the box was overflowing with my a stitch in color fabrics packaged in Moda's distinctive style. I'm thinking that the pre-cut strips in the jelly rolls would be perfect for a new version of this quilt.
I'm going to have to wait a few days before I really start playing with my Moda pre-cuts as I'm heading off tomorrow to teach my Improvisational Piecing class at CREATE in Chicago. For those playing along in the ever-popular Texas summer game, "how hot are we," I would note that the high in Chicago on Wednesday is predicted to be 90 degrees followed by a high of 80 degrees on Thursday while the highs here tomorrow and Thursday are 103 degrees. I wasn't planning on going running in Chicago, but I don't know if I can pass up a 67 degree low.
Another thing I couldn't pass up was remaking my Tuesday pillow, the featured project in my Improvisational Piecing class, in my a stitch in color fabrics.
That means the the folks in my class on Thursday will be the first to get to see these fabrics in person. I hope they like them.

21 comments:

Faith Jones said...

Malka - I am attending your class in Chicago Thursday and I cannot WAIT! What fun it will be to meet you in person after drooling over your fabric online for the last couple years.

carol said...

Lucky participants! I wanna see too!

Siobhan Rogers said...

looks great :)

Sarina said...

I really love this fabric line and can't wait until it is available.

Caroline @ Artfully Caroline said...

I wish I could go to your class!! And I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your fabrics in person !!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Oh I just can't wait to see these in person. You are a constant source of inspiration- I love color too!

Lasso the Moon said...

Their packaging is so darling. How fun for you.
Anna

Peggy A. said...

How can they NOT love them. Yours are my favorites.

Maria Harrits said...

Nice strong colors! I just love it.

Marjon Savelsberg said...

These packages look so cute and I love the bright fabrics! I wish I was in your class :-)

MulticoloredPieces said...

Wow! those Moda fabrics are really something! It'll be years before they filter down into the food chain and reach my local flea market where I get my fabrics. Drat! Love the pillow!
best, nadia

Debbie said...

Malka ~ I'm so excited for your fabric line to come out! I ♥♥♥ them! Wish you would come out to San Diego Ca sometime :)

Jeannette said...

Can't wait for a chance at that fabric. Particularly the greens... you know, cuz there is not a stitch of green anywhere in Austin at the moment. Ugh. Would it please rain?

Leanne said...

I can't wait to be able to purchase those fabrics! Your projects with them are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

So when and where can we get hold of these Moda packs of your fabrics ????

Rosa said...

Looks very nice.I`m looking forward in your new project.
Happy quilting!!

diana said...

I can't wait for this line to come up. I think it's fantastic!

Poppyprint said...

No fair, I want to be in that class!!! Strips and bricks will be perfect. The baked goods are beyond delicious - you must be so excited!!

Pippa said...

Beautiful fabrics! And great running weather, you should take advantage ;)

Lasso the Moon said...

I wish I could be there! So much fun. Those spirals of fabric strips are gorgeous!
Anna

nanotchka said...

yep! I'm gettin me some of this at market!!!!